The station opened on 3 June 1889.
The District line from Putney Bridge to Wimbledon, via Wimbledon Park, was the last of the network to be converted from steam to electric, on 27 August 1905.
Wimbledon Park, not to be confused with Wimbledon Common, was originally the grounds of a large manor house. Vice Admiral Frederick Spencer, the 4th Earl Spencer, sold the property to a developer in 1846, who constructed houses and divided the land. This was later sold to Merton Council, which has used it as a public park, featuring a café, conservation area and ornamental gardens.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations