The station was originally opened as Theydon in 1865 by the Great Eastern Railway, and provided ‘milk trains’ to Liverpool Street. When it was transferred to the Central line in 1949, it was named Theydon Bois. The place name comes from the Bois family who held the manor in the 12th and 13th centuries; Despite the French-looking word, it is pronounced ‘Boys’.
A notable characteristic of Theydon Bois village is the complete absence of street lighting – villagers voted for this in order to maintain a traditional ambience.
The village’s landmark is the ‘Avenue of Trees’ – a line of oak trees planted in the 1830s to celebrate Queen Victoria’s accession to the throne.
Many village events occur in Theydon Bois, including the annual Donkey Derby.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations
R. E. V. Butt in The Directory of Railway Stations gives the renaming date as 1 December 1865.