East Putney opened on 3 June 1889, as part of the District line extension from Putney Bridge to Wimbledon. That stretch of the District line was the last section to be converted from steam power to electric. Electric trains began functioning in August 1905.
Until 1 April 1994, East Putney was classed as a Southern Railway station; it was then sold to London Underground for just £1.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations