The station opened in 1889 as Chorley Wood, was renamed Chorley Wood & Chenies in 1915, reverting back to its original name in 1934 and since 1964 known as Chorleywood.
Chorleywood as a settlement dates back to the Paleolithic era, when a plentiful supply of flint led to the development of tools by early man. The Romans built a small village on the ancient site with a mill and brewery, and the ruins of a Roman villa are thought to be underneath the M25.
In a 2004 survey of English neighbourhoods by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, Chorleywood West was found to offer the highest quality of life.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations