Cannon Street station is both a London Underground and London railway terminus.
It is built on the site of a medieval steelyard, the trading base in England of the Hanseatic League in the 13th – 17th centuries.
Opened by the South Eastern Railway on 1 September 1866, the original station building was designed by Sir John Hawkshaw and JW Barry and was characterised by its two 135-foot high Wren-style towers. During World War II the station suffered extensive bomb damage; however, the towers survived and were fully restored in 1986. The station is carried on a brick viaduct over Upper Thames Street; underneath the viaduct are the remains of some Roman buidlings.
Near to the station are Shakespeare’s Globe and Rose Theatre.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations