Opened as Harrow in 1880 and changing its name to Harrow-on-the-Hill in 1894, the station is at the heart of Metro-land – the name given to the suburban areas that were built to the north-west of London in the counties of Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire and Middlesex in the early part of the 20th century and were served by the Metropolitan Railway (the Met).
The area includes Harrow School, one of the most prestigious schools in the world, opened in 1572 and its uniform still includes straw hats, morning suits, top hats and canes. Winston Churchill was a pupil there.
The ‘hill’ has historically been used as a place of pagan worship.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations