Gants Hill is the easternmost station on the London Underground network that is entirely below ground.
Designed by Charles Holden, its construction was begun in the 1930s, but was suspended during World War II, when it was used as an air-raid shelter and the tunnels as a munitions factory for Plessey electronics.
When it was finally completed and opened in 1947, the names Ilford North and Cranbrook were considered.
Near to the station is Valentines Park, the largest green space in the borough of Redbridge, at 125 acres. The Park contains the Grade II* listed Valentines Mansion and Gardens, built in 1696 for the widow of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations