The original station at the site opened as Gale Street Halt in 1926. In 1932 the station was rebuilt and renamed Becontree. It had four platforms, two for the District line and two for the London-to-Southend line, which became disused in 1962, when the Southend service was withdrawn.
Rumour has it that a long-haired female ghost haunts the platforms of Becontree.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations