The station was originally opened by the Eastern Counties Railway in 1856 and then changed to the LNER in 1923. It eventually transferred to London Underground’s Central Line in 1947.
Many of the station’s original Victorian features survive today, including the brick building and extensive cast-iron and timber canopies. Concrete roundels on the platforms and some lampposts date from 1948.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations