The station was opened by the Central London Railway (CLR) in 1900. However, the current station entrance is not the original, having come into use on 25 June 1934in order to accomodate new escalators into the station platforms. The old entrance building became redundant and, in recognition of the location of the new entrance, the station was renamed Chancery Lane (Gray’s Inn), although the suffix subsequently fell out of use.
Cannon Street is one of eight London Underground stations that have a deep-level air-raid shelter underneath them.
Near to Cannon Street station is the Dickens House Museum, Dr Johnson’s House, the Royal Courts of Justice, Hatton Gardens and The Crypt of St Andrew.
Labyrinth visible at the entrance to the Eastbound platform 2.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations