The station was opened as Heathway in 1932 as part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway, with services provided by the District line from the outset. It changed to its present name in 1949, and the 1930s station buildings were extensively refurbished during 2005 and 2006.
The station is of similar design to Upney and Elm Park, with the platforms arranged on a central island and with a long sloping walkway connection to the ticket hall.
Dagenham Heathway is the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham’s second town centre.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations