Wanstead station began construction in the 1930s, but was delayed due to the onset of Wold War II. It eventually opened in 1947 to a design by Charles Holden.
It was one of the last Underground stations to retain its original wooden escalator, which was removed in 2003. The original platform wall tiling, which had unfortunately become badly damaged, was also replaced in 2006.
The name Wanstead comes from the Anglo-Saxon words wænn and stede, meaning ‘settlement on a small hill’.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations