The original station was opened in 1856 by the Eastern Counties Railway, but although it retains much of its Victorian ambience, most of the present station dates from 1892, when the entrance was moved to Victoria Road. It was the first station used by London Underground trains in 1948.
The earliest mention of Buckhurst Hill, when it was known as La Bocherste, dates back to 1135. In later years it became Bucket Hill, originally meaning a hill covered with beech trees.
TV programmes Essex Wives and The Only Way Is Essex have been filmed in the local area.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations