The station, which was opened in 1935 by the London, Midland & Scottish Railway, is of a similar design to those constructed at Dagenham Heathway and Upney and was the last to be opened on the eastern extension.
It was built following negotiations with a property developer which at the time was creating a new community of houses in the area called Elm Park Garden City. It was named after the local Elm Farm, which was first recorded in 1777.
The station has an average of 2.4 million entries and exits per year.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations