The station opened in 1903 with the intention to stimulate suburban growth, but was closed in October 1908 due to lack of custom. It eventually reopened in 1930.
With a descent of just 0.67 metres, Hainault’s lift is the shallowest on the London Underground network.
The name Hainault was recorded as ‘Hyneholt’ in 1239, and means ‘monastic woodland’.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations