Redbridge station opened in 1947 and the London borough of Redbridge was created in 1965. The name was inspired by a bridge, demolished in 1921, that went over the River Roding and was made from red brick, unlike other bridges in the area that were made of white stone.
Construction of the station begun in the 1930s to a design by Charles Holden, but was delayed due to World War II, when the completed train tunnels were used as an aircraft-parts factory. The building is now Grade II listed.
Artworks are currently installed at the following stations