Art on the Underground invited first year Photography students from London Southbank University to take part in a poster competition inspired by ‘The Bower of Bliss’ by Linder’s at Southwark station.
The final design was chosen by the artist and the winning student took part in a day workshop with Hato Press in East London to get to grips with printing techniques and gain practical industry experience. The final design was then produced by a professional designer and exhibited alongside ‘The Bower of Bliss’ at Southwark station for two months.
Winner Ewan Coleman’s poster ‘Monstrous Flower’ will be on show at Southwark station throughout June and July 2019.
The brief was to create an image for a poster design in relation to The Bower of Bliss at Southwark Tube Station considering one or more of the key themes Linder has focused on in her work:
- Mapping a vertical history of Southwark
- The station interior inspired by 18th Century notion of the English landscape garden
- The station as a place of peace and tranquility, a refuge from urban life
- The histories, myths and fables of women based in Southwark
- A picture of empowerment for women everywhere